Here is a list of scientific research supporting the idea that an injured brain has the most recovery potential with frequent and consistent practice.
- An intensive massed practice approach to retraining balance post-stroke.
Vearrier LA, Langan J, Shumway-Cook A, Woollacott M.
Gait Posture. 2005 Oct;22(2):154-63.
- Comparison of amounts and types of practice during rehabilitation for traumatic brain injury and stroke.
Kimberley TJ, Samargia S, Moore LG, Shakya JK, Lang CE
J Rehabil Res Dev 2010;47(9): 851-862
- Effect of Intensive outpatient physical training on gait performance and cardiovascular health in people with hemiparesis after stroke.
Jorgensen J, Bech-Pedersen DT, Zeeman P, Sorensen J, Andersen L, Schonberger M.
Phys Ther. 2010 Apr;90(4)527-537.
- Counting repetitions: an observational study of outpatient therapy for people with hemiparesis post-stroke.
Lang CE, MacDonald JR, Gnip C.
J Neurol Phys Ther. 2007 Mar;31(1):3-10.
- Dose of arm activity training during acute and subacute rehabilitation post stroke: a systematic review of the literature.
Hayward KS, Brauer SG.
- Observation of amounts of movement practice provided during stroke rehabilitation.
Lang CE, MacDonald JR, Reisman DS, Boyd L, Jacobson Kimberley T, Schindler-Ivens SM, Hornby TG, Ross SA, Scheets PL.
Arch Phys Med Rehabil 2009;90:1692-8
ExpectatioN & Belief
A list of scientific research supporting the idea that belief and expectation are determining factors in healing and recovery.
- The power of nonspecific effects in healing: Implications for psychosocial and biological treatments
Alan H.Roberts, Donald G.Kewman, Lisa Mercier, Mel Hovell
(1993) Clinical Psychology Review, 13 (5) , pp. 375-391.
- Antiemetic Use for Nausea and Vomiting in Adult Emergency Department Patients: Randomized Controlled Trial Comparing Ondansetron, Metoclopramide, and Placebo
Egerton-Warburton, Diana et al.
Annals of Emergency Medicine , Volume 64 , Issue 5 , 526 - 532.e1
- Placebo effect in the acute treatment of migraine: subcutaneous placebos are better than oral placebos
de Craen AJ, Tijssen JG, de Gans J, Kleijnen J.
J Neurol. 2000 Mar;247(3):183-8.
- Placebo effect in the treatment of duodenal ulcer
De Craen, A. J. M., Moerman, D. E., Heisterkamp, S. H., Tytgat, G. N. J., Tijssen, J. G. P. and Kleijnen, J.
(1999) British Journal of Clinical Pharmacology, 48: 853–860.
- Adherence, Placebo Effects, and Mortality
Ira B. Wilson, MD, MSc
J Gen Intern Med. 2010 Dec; 25(12): 1270–1272.